So, this tree was pretty weak when I first acquired it. Here is a refresher –
That was in September 2013. It was repotted into an open mix, consistently fed really well with organic fertiliser, kept in full sun and allowed to grow. Only the apex was decandled in summer and basically it was left alone until April 2015.
During this time the roots have grown and the surface had become very compacted so it was time to open it up a little and add a new surface layer.
While the tree was in the workshop I decided to do some work on the scar around the back of the trunk that is from a sacrifice branch.
So the inner rim of the cambium layer that has formed was scratched a little to reactivate the healing process. Then the wound is covered with cut paste. We’ll see what has happened in spring.
It’s autumn at the moment so I also went through the tree and selected buds and did a small amount of needle plucking. There were 2 year old needles that had started to drop and I wanted to ensure good air flow and sunlight into the inner areas.
Here’s how it looks now –
It’s much healthier and the overall vigour of the tree has significantly improved as well as the colour of the needles. It’s been given another dose of fertiliser too before winter comes along.
While I was working on the tree I found the harsh angle of the trunk to be a little disturbing so I’m going to rotate the tree clockwise when I repot in Spring.
This rotation reveals more of the trunk line, creates more interest and displays the nebari much better.
So for now, it’s more sun, more wind and fertilising until winter.
This tree was recently acquired and I was initially attracted to the beautiful bark and overall age of the tree. The original grower was on hand and let me know it’s 24-25 years old.
I don’t think the tree has been repotted in a very long time and it’s health looks to be needing some TLC. There was clear evidence that spider mites were actively eating the tree.
When the tree was taken out of the pot you could see that there was only dust remaining between the roots.
Some new roots have just started forming and being the very start of the growing season, the timing for repotting was perfect.
I felt the tree needed to be turned a little clockwise and tilted forward to bring what will be the new apex into prominence.
I wanted a pot with some age and character to it for this tree and I had the perfect one. This was picked this one up from Kouka-en in Osaka, Japan earlier this year.
Here it is after repotting. This will spend at least a week in the workshop and out of the weather. The tree was also given a spray with a lime sulphur mix to take care of the mites that have been giving it a bit of a flogging. The big lip on the pot makes it look a little large for the tree but I think it will “grow” into it over time and be a good match. By turning the tree clockwise the nebari now looks more impressive in my opinion.
The tree is 50cm high and the nebari is 20cm.
I’m in no rush to wire this one, I will just work on the tree’s health for a while and post more of it’s progress over time.